BEREA, Ohio – Cleveland Browns defensive end Myles Garrett said Friday that he ended last year’s incident against the Steelers where he tore the helmet off Mason Rudolph and hit the Pittsburgh quarterback in the head.
Garrett, who received a suspension ending in time for the incident, said he was expecting a clean game for Sunday’s rematch in Pittsburgh.
“We’ll see when we play,” Garrett said. “But their head coach [Mike Tomlin] said they had already passed it. We overcame it as a team. We are ready to go out there and play ball. “
Garrett missed the last six games of the season, was fined $ 45,623 and lost approximately $ 1.2 million in pay for the incident, following the final seconds of Cleveland’s 21-7 victory on Nov. 14.
Private to the appeal of his suspension, and later to the public on ESPN’s Outline Line, Garrett accused Rudolph of urging him to call him “the word N.” Both Rudolph and Tomlin denied the accusation.
On Tuesday, Tomlin said last year’s incident had no effect on Sunday’s game and his team was “not looking for that low fruit or the reality TV storyline.”
Garrett said he would focus on playing “inside the whistle.”
“[We won’t] worried about what they were doing to disappoint or beat us in our game, “Garrett said. But I think they will play a clean, fair game, and we will do the same.
Garrett said he did not expect a welcome to 6,000 fans to be allowed inside Heinz Field on Sunday.
“I mean, we’re the Browns,” Garrett said. “I look forward to boo.”
The Browns (4-1) make their best start since 1994, and the Steelers are 4-0 for the first time since 1979, when they went on to win the Super Bowl.
Cleveland has not been a winner in Pittsburgh for 17 years.
“Let’s win there,” Garrett said, “[and] most people will give us respect and see us as a legit team in the league. “