The 2020 Great American Beer Festival is unlike anything else since its inception in 1982 thanks to the pandemic, which forced the country’s greatest excess beer to be canceled. However, this did not stop the event’s signature contest, one of the most popular in the country, from taking place almost.
Colorado’s performance was impressive, earning 26 medals, including eight gold medals. The largest winner in the state is Cannonball Creek Brewing Co. of Golden, which won gold for Featherweight pale ale and two bronzes for Vladimir Brutin and Let’s Talk About Mex lager, placed in experimental India pale ale and international-style cream ale categories. , respectively.
“Featherweight was the first beer we noticed, eight years ago,” said Jason Stengl, co-owner and general manager. “I am proud of us all, I am proud of my co-workers, my partner and our mixers. It was something we all felt proud of. “
CONNECTION: 35 Colorado brewers are keeping medals at the 2019 Great American Beer Fest
Denver Beer Co. made two prizes: a gold for the Amburana Dream, a woodwork imperial binder made at the Arvada location, and a silver for the Amburana Graham Cracker Porter, another aged beer in the woods.
Colorado also leads the sour American style category, where New Terrain Brewing Co. Golden won a silver medal for a beer called Mirage and Fort Collins’ New Belgium Brewing Co. has won bronze for its Sour IPA.
“With everything going on in 2020, Colorado brewers are still able to show and brew beer around the world,” said Shawnee Adelson, executive director of the Colorado Brewers Guild. “It’s also great to see some people who have never won an award before raising – Sanitas, Seedstock, Living the Dream – that show our diversity in terms of size and ability to cook amazing beer.”
Over the course of three weeks, judges examined more than 8,800 beers from breweries nationwide while wearing shields on the face and away physically, but clearly the pandemic played a role in the beers . More than 1,700 brewers entered the competition this year, down from nearly 2,300 in 2019.
Last year, Colorado breweries earned an impressive 40 medals from the competition.
Here are the other Colorado winners from Friday’s awards ceremony, listed by category, brewery, city name and beer.
- Fruit Wheat Beer – Avery Brewing Co., Boulder, Liliko’i Kepolo
- Wood- and Barrel-Aged Strong Beer – Denver Beer Co., Arvada, Amburana Dream
- American Amber Lager – Wibby Brewing, Longmont, Volksbier Vienna
- German Maerzen Style – Irwin Brewing Co., Crested Butte, Amber’s Lager-Amber Lager
- American-style Pale Ale – Cannonball Creek Brewing Co., Gold, Featherweight pale ale
- Juicy o Hazy Pale Ale – Blue Moon Brewing Co., Denver, Moon Haze
- Irish style Red Ale – Mirror Image Brewing Co., Frederick, Balefire Irish red
- Altbier German style – Red Leg Brewing Co., Colorado Springs, Howitzer Amber
- Field Beer – Dry Dock Brewing Co.-North Dock, Aurora, Coconut Bligh’s Barleywine
- Chili Beer – Colorado Brewery, Denver, Poblano Pills
- Historic Beer – Seedstock Brewery, Denver, Seedstock Gratzer
- American-Belgo-style Ale – Rationing of Beerworks, Denver, I Love You
- American-style Sour Ale – New Terrain Brewing Co., Golden, Mirage
- Mixed-Culture Brett Beer Sanitas Brewing Co., Boulder, Déluge
- Wood- and Barrel-Aged Beer – Denver Beer Co., Denver, Amburana Graham Cracker Porter
- Pilsener German Style – Prost Brewing Co., Denver, Prost Pils
- American-style Strong Pale Ale – Companion Brewing Co., Denver, Superpower IPA
- American-style Amber / Red Ale – Zuni Street Brewing Co., Denver, Justin’s Easy Going Amber
- Scottish Ale Style – Goat Patch Brewing Co., Colorado Springs, It takes on a red tribe
- Fruit Wheat Beer – Storm Peak Brewing Co., Steamboat Springs, Afternoon Breakfast
- Herb at Spice Beer – Living the Dream Brewing Co., Littleton, Powder Run
- Experimental India Pale Ale – Cannonball Creek Brewing Co., Golden, Vladimir Brutin
- American-style Sour Ale – New Belgium Brewing Co., Fort Collins, Sour IPA
- American-style Cream Ale – Cannonball Creek Brewing Co., Golden, Let’s Talk About Mex
- International Pale Ale – Our Mutual Friend Brewing Co., Denver, Inner Light
- Stutt – The Post Brewing Co., Lafayette, Dry Stout
See the full list of 2020 GABF winners.
CONNECTION: You only have to spend $ 20 to “attend” GABF this year. Here’s how.
Subscribe to our food newsletter, Stuffed, to get Denver food and beverage news delivered straight to your inbox.