Home https://server7.kproxy.com/servlet/redirect.srv/sruj/smyrwpoii/p2/ US https://server7.kproxy.com/servlet/redirect.srv/sruj/smyrwpoii/p2/ Proud Boys supporter Gavin McInnes has nothing to do with Vice, the CEO said

Proud Boys supporter Gavin McInnes has nothing to do with Vice, the CEO said



Wednesday night, a day after President Donald Trump failed to disavow the Proud Boys during the presidential debate, instead of telling them to “stand up and stand up,” Vice Media CEO Nancy Dubuc sent an email to his staff to assure them that the media The company has no current connection to McInnes.

“I’m sure we’re all still trying to make sense of what was said in the US Presidential debate last night, but I want to write to you to clarify one thing: Gavin McInnes has nothing to do with VICE,” Dubuc said in his email. , obtained by CNN Business. “While the legacy of his role in establishing the company revolves around it from time to time – I want you all to make sure that any organization he has with the company ended more than a decade ago in 2008. What did he do after that ̵

1; including the founding of the Proud Boys in 2016 – has nothing to do with VICE, our values ​​or our town. “

McInnes may not be affiliated with Vice Media today. But he co-found the alternative magazine that grew into what Vice Media is today, and he worked with Vice for 14 years.

McInnes, along with Shane Smith and Suroosh Alvi, bought Voice of Montreal, a Canadian government-funded magazine, in 1994. According to a profile in The Guardian in 2008, the three took control of the magazine after one out to the publisher. They changed the name of Vice and later moved to New York City and expanded the magazine internationally.
McInnes, under aliases, wrote most of the content for Vice in its early days before they had a budget for freelancers, according to a New Yorker profile in 2013. He was also involved in author of many Vice books.
In a Q&A posted in rudeness to the New York Press in 2002, McInnes said he was pleased that the hipsters in Williamsburg, the Brooklyn neighborhood where Vice’s office is headed, were White. After a letter-writing campaign by a Black reader, Vice apologized for McInnes’ comment, The New York Times later reported. The Times also quoted him as saying, “I love being white and I think it’s something to be proud of. I don’t want to diminish our culture. We need to close borders now and let everyone be linked to a Westerner. , white, English-speaking lifestyle. “ An unnamed former staff member told The New Yorker “[t]hat is the beginning of the end of “McInnes’ time with Vice.
By the time McInnes left Vice in 2008, the company had invested in digital video creation and gained popularity for provocative documentaries. Vice goes on to become the darling of media investors who, at the most likely high tide mark in 2017, are worth $ 5.7 billion. McInnes left “because of creative differences with his partners,” according to The New York Times.
McInnes founded the Proud Boys in 2016. He retired in 2018, but in 2019 the Southern Poverty Law Center was sued for being assigned to a hate group. Officially, the group describes themselves as organized in the belief “West Is The Best” – what they call Western Chauvinism – and rejects the label of White supremacists and alt-right. They are said to be opposed to both racism and “racial crime.” They advocated closed boundaries, gun rights, and “respect for the mistress.” In a statement to CNN Business Thursday, McInnes denied the notion that the Proud Boys were racists or White supremacists.
Current Proud Boys leader Enrique Tarrio told CNN’s Elle Reeve, who previously worked for the Vice, that he was happy with the President’s comment for the Proud Boys to “stand up and stand up.”

In a staff memo Wednesday, Dubuc wrote, “I hope our work, our culture and our leadership speak for themselves without hesitation, but let me say – do not leave any doubt – everything is we condemn white supremacy, racism and hatred in every form. “

Vice also extensively covered the Proud Boys and other right-wing groups on the right, Dubuc said.

“Our award-winning teams led the responsibility of handling the Proud Boys and other similar groups responsible through dogged and unflinching investigative journalism. Our teams have produced worldwide reporting on alt -right from Charlottesville to Louisville and most recently Portland, “Dubuc wrote. “Thank you for your unwavering commitment to continue this work – and if anyone gives you a hard time, send them my way. I am glad the note was set correctly.”

Vice Media declined to comment beyond Dubuc’s email.

When CNN Business reached out to McInnes via text message about what Dubuc wrote, he replied, “I created that brand and defined the content from its inception until I left in 2008. My disrespectful respect still haunts Banquo’s ghost. “


Source link