This story is part of the our full coverage of the latest news from Apple headquarters.
The new crop of iPhones may wear different colors, but in terms of overall design, they look amazing last yeariPhone XS Max and iPhone XR – notch and all.
The three cameras behind the iPhone 11 Pro and Pro Max are Apple's biggest threats in a series that. For many people, the iPhone represents the gold standard for smartphone design and cutting features like Face Unlock, which Apple says is faster now than ever before. But despite the bread-and-butter features, such as support for the Wi-Fi 6, the iPhone 11 trio failed to push the envelope, relying instead on big camera changes and smaller refinements to maintain the momentum.
No support for 5G carriers (we expect to arrive in 2020), and none of the reverse wireless charging has been reported to charge Apple AirPods, Apple Watch and other phones behind the iPhone 11 – as you can inand .
such as making new iPhone 11 compatible with Apple Pencil, and a USB-C port whispered to replace Lightning Connection.
Without a powerful suite of new features to lure consumers, Apple has been working for them as it goes into hyper-competitive holiday season and 2020. The phone. Competitors like Samsung, Google and Huawei are pulling on camera and feature tools. And then there is the question of 5G – iPhone users will have to wait a whole year unless everyone surprises us with a special event before September 2020.
Thebeginning Friday, Sept. 13 and 5 am PT. They arrived in-store on September 20. Apple will continue to sell the iPhone XR for $ 599 and the iPhone 8 for $ 449.
For now, look at all that is important to offer with the new iPhones. You can get everything else that Apple announced here fromto the brand new . Here's how to compare the .
We tested the iPhone 11 phones and here is what we think
CNET went hands-on with the iPhone 11, iPhone 11 Pro and iPhone 11 Max. The colors and finishes look and feel more refined – and less like finger magnets – than last year's phones, especially compared to the iPhone XR, which is the equivalent of the iPhone this year 11.  The most popular is the camera, and the telephoto lens especially because it feels like the main difference between the iPhone 11 and the far pricier 11 Pro and 11 Pro Max. All three phones share most of the other features, at least we can tell with our short hands on time on the phone.
The newfor front-facing cameras is fun, but not a must-have feature by any means. However, we wouldn't be surprised if other phone makers cribbed this one.
Two iPhone 11 Pro phones get a new matte finish and steel case that looks stunning, and feels dense. Maybe you think of it as gravitas. We think it's pretty heavy. The pictures do not do the midnight green shade of justice. We chalk up as fans. We're not sure the surcharge from the regular iPhone 11 to 11 Pro is worth the finish alone, but having this telephoto lens will help round out the feature set.
Changing the three camera lenses to the Pro and Pro Max feels seamless, and a new "Haptic Touch" feedback used by Apple instead of 3D Touch is a bit easy to invite in sharp new displays. – Just hold your finger.
Rear camera: Wide, ultrawide, telephoto
The iPhone 11 Pro and 11 Pro Max are all about the camera. Competing brands are no stranger to the three-camera system (or even four!), But it marks Apple's first time pairing a wide-angle lens with both telephoto and angle sensors. of ultrawide.
We're working on a deep dive for you soon, but what you really need to know is that Apple wants to make it easy for you to switch from the basic 12 lens megapixel camera to the 13-megapixel ultrawide – angle lens on the 12-megapixel telephoto sensor, which you make from the main camera screen.
Using this type of system on other phones, such as theand for example, can make images more atmospheric or noteworthy – especially the scene shot – when taken with an ultrawide lens. Apple said it would fit four times the amount of views compared to the main camera.
On the flip side, a telephoto shot can make the difference between grabbing your picture or not if you're too far to actually see the face. or the detail you're trying to get because you're just so far away. A concert, a cornice in a historic building, a celebrity behind a velvet rope. That kind of thing. Apple has said it will deliver a total of 4x optical zoom through its camera system, though the telephoto lens is specified for 2x optical zoom.
The focused night mode is another feature that has become a feature based on premium phones. It aims to make the details brighter and reduce noise in low-light conditions.
But the most interesting feature, which we didn't see at the launch of the iPhone 11 (it will come in all three phones) iswhich takes the best features from nine different images that the iPhone automatically takes. It uses machine learning to combine these different shots in one second, then serves up a compilation with sharper details than you would have if you took it yourself. That's the theory, anyway.
The last feature we couldn't wait to try was the slow motion video for the camera front, but maybe that's just to say we got "". We're not sure if we want to love it or hate to love it, but yes, one of those.
New key specs of the iPhone 11 Pro and Pro Max
- Two screen sizes: 5.8- and 6.5-inches displaying OLED (both 458 ppi pixel density)
- The "Super Retina XDR" display supports HDR 10 with Dolby Vision (and Dolby Atmos sound)
- Phone body: Textured matte finish
- 64GB, 256GB, 512GB storage capacities
- Three rear camera with 4x optical zoom: Wide, ultrawide, telephoto lens (OIS for wide and telephoto)  The upcoming camera feature called collects nine images to reduce noise details and amp up
- 4 hours more battery life (Pro) and 5 hours more battery life (Pro Max) than last year's models  The Faster Face ID that unlocked  Wi-Fi 6 support, but no 5G
- 4K video for both front and rear camera, with slow motion video for selfie camera (aka " ")
- New photo illumination effect: Monochrome
- Fast charging adapter  Color: midnight green, gray, silver, gold
- iPhone 11 Pro starts at $ 999 or $ 25 per month (£ 1,049, AU $ 1,749)
- The iPhone 11 Pro Max starts at $ 1,099 or $ 29 per month (£ 1,149, AU $ 1,899)
What's New in iPhone 11
- Six colors: black, white, yellow, green, Product Red
- A13 Bionic chip
- 64GB, 128GB, 512GB storage capacities  More battery life than iPhone XR
- Faster Face ID unlocked 19659045] Wi-Fi 6 support, but no 5G
- Dual camera system with 12-megapixel lens: wide and ultrawide (switch by tapping the screen)
- Camera night mode
- 2x optical zoom
- New monochrome lighting image
- 12-megapixel front facing camera (up from 7 megapixels)
- 4K video for both front and rear cameras. with slow motion video for selfie camera
- iOS 13
- Starts at $ 699 or $ 17 per month (£ 729, AU $ 1,199)
Can the iPhone 11 Pro and Pro Max update Apple's iPhone, or the flag of excitement? Stay tuned as we recall Apple's announcement and get in touch when we see Apple's new iPhones after the event.
Scott Stein contributed to this story, updated throughout the day.