WASHOE COUNTY, Nev. (COLOR) – The Washoe County Health District is warning residents to avoid areas with potential deer mouse activity after a resident contracted hantavirus and died.
This is the second deadliest case of hantavirus in Washoe County since 2017.
"Although hantavirus is very rare, when this happens, the disease can be fatal," Dr. Randall Todd, Director of the Washoe County Health District Epidemiology and Public Health Preparedness Division. On average, 38% of hantavirus cases are fatal.
Infected rodents, most commonly deer mice, transmit the virus to their leaks, urine, and saliva. Hantavirus is primarily transmitted to humans when they breathe in the air infected with the virus. It can also be transmitted if a person touches something contaminated with stains, urine, or saliva and then touches their nose or mouth. This usually occurs when working or recreating in places where the mouse, urine, or saliva may collect or when cleaning rodent droppings or hive material.
Hikers and campers may be at higher risk if they are in areas common for heavy rodents such as old cabins, stables, and barns. Scientists also expect people to become ill if they eat food contaminated with stains, urine, or saliva from an infected rodent. garage, shed, cabins and barn. Because it is difficult to tell if a rodent is carrying a hantavirus, it is best to avoid all stray mice and safely clean any urine, urine, or nests in your home. when cleaning in areas with rodent activity:
Do not sweep or vacuum the area with urine, sleeping, or nest material.
A solution of 1part bleach in 10 parts water should be used when cleaning urine and / or leaks. . Let it set for 5 minutes before cleaning the area.
Wear gloves (i.e., latex, vinyl, rubber) and a face mask to prevent touching or breathing with viral particles. goods. A deer mouse can fit by opening the size of a nickel. Plug holes with steel wool and place caulk around steel wool to keep in place.
For more information on hantavirus, click here.