- Plastic bags are prohibited at retail stores
- Restaurants can still use plastic bags for orders to go
- Styrofoam and plastic straws allow, but straws available by request
- Ordinance violation results in a warning, followed by $ 100 and $ 250 fines for additional offenses
- Businesses are free to charge bills for the sole use of plastic item
- Retailers should be encouraged to waive any bag fees for people paying public assistance
Mayor Tim Keller did not say if he signed the ordinance, but he said he was encouraged.
"I think this is a situation where it's good. You want to be an early adapter, but not too early," Keller said. "You want to learn from some states and how it affects businesses and others but also make sure and take action. So I feel we're in the right places."